Was William Branham Honest
Click on headings to expand them, or links to go to specific articles.
- “I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
For those who have been in the message for long, to question the honesty of William Branham appears almost blasphemous. But the Bible says that we are to discern all things and, in particular, those that claim to be prophets are to be judged (1 Cor 2:15, 1 Cor 14:29) and those in leadership in the church are held to a high standard (Titus 1:6-8, 1 Tim. 3:2-9).
- “If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” ― Mark Twain
Questions regarding William Branham's Honesty
The following is our list of questions related to William Branham's honesty and credibility. Please click on the link to go to a detailed discussion of the question:
- Did William Branham visit the graves of Muhammad, Buddha, and Confucius?
- Did William Branham visit the Vatican and see the inscription "VICARIVS FILII DEI" above the throne of the Pope?
- Did William Branham lie about his prophecy regarding Billy Graham?
- Did anyone hear the voice on the Ohio River in 1933?
- Did William Branham see a mother eagle carry her babies on her wings?
- Why did William Branham say that he was under the cloud when they took its picture, when he clearly wasn't?
- Did William Branham travel around the world seven times?
- Was William Branham's Bible saved miraculously in the 1937 flood?
- Why did the story of the man from Windsor change so drastically over time?
- Why did William Branham say that he received his revelations from God when he took many of his doctrines from other men?
- Why did William Branham change the story of Congressman Upshaw's healing?
- When did William Branham embrace Pentecostalism?
- Was Donny Morton really healed?
- Did William Branham speak in an unknown tongue that a Finnish woman understood?
- Was it reasonable for William Branham to blame his poor grammar on his dad?
- Did William Branham prayer for King George VI and was he really healed?
- Did William Branham raise a boy from the dead in Finland?
- Who was Hope Branham's Nurse?
- Was Florence Nightingale the granddaughter of the original Florence Nightingale?
- Did the Pillar of Fire really appear above William Branham's head in Houston? Why did other pictures from that evening appear in the newspaper, when he said his picture was the only one that turned out?
- Was William Branham truthful about asking Hope's parents for her hand in marriage?
- If only sissies wear shorts, why did William Branham wear them?
- How could William Branham have allowed Leo Mercer to be part of his ministry?
- Did William Branham claim to be a prophet?
- Was William Branham born under a Nazarite Vow?
- Was William Branham's discernment 100% accurate?
- Was William Branham's ministry always 100%?
- What was in the cornerstone of Branham Tabernacle?
- Why was William Branham dishonest about his son's first marriage?
- Why was the vision of the five angels changed to a vision of seven angels?
- Why did William Branham say that he was at Sunset Mountain when he was actually at Rattlesnake Mesa?
- Why did William Branham make up the story of the Pyramid Box?
- Why did William Branham's stories change so radically over time?
- Was William Branham really the first fruits of spiritual maturity? The perfect man?
- Was the photo from Houston supernatural or just the out of focus picture of a flood light?
- Did William Branham see an amber light?
- Did William Branham help to launch the ministry of Jim Jones?
- Was Marshal Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke a real person?
- Is Joseph Branham a prophet?
- Was there a Mormon prophecy about William Branham?
- Did Danny Henry's prophecy take place?
- How did William Branham view himself?
- Was William Branham a wealthy man when he died?
- If God spoke through William Branham, why did he mess up?
- If it was wrong to kill animals for sport, why did William Branham do it?
- Why did William Branham deny that he went to movies 3 weeks after admitting that he did?
- Why did William Branham criticize those who drove Cadillac's when he owned one?
- Why did William Branham criticize women that cut their hair and wore short skirts, when his own family did?
- What actually happened to Hattie Wright's boys?
- Why did William Branham say he went to William Cowper's grave when he didn't?
- Why did William Branham say William Cowper committed suicide when he died of heart failure?
- Why did William Branham state the Stephen Foster committed suicide, when this is not true?
- Was there really a connection between the Pope visiting israel in 1964 and the lunar eclipse that preceded his visit?
- Q&A with a message minister relating to William Branham's credibility
The Biblical standard
Proverbs 14:5 states:
- A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.
If William Branham told lies, that would make him a false witness, according to the Bible.
Revelation 3:14 tells us:
- And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God...
Could William Branham be the messenger to the Laodicean church if he was not honest? If he was a false witness?
Problems with William Branham's Credibility
|We reject all shameful deeds and underhanded methods. We don’t try to trick anyone or distort the word of God. We tell the truth before God, and all who are honest know this. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:2 (NLT)|
Was William Branham honest? If he can be shown to have distorted the truth or if his stories are constantly changing over time such that they vary significantly from their first telling, this would cast doubt on virtually everything that he said. The following list contains issues that raise questions regarding his honesty and truthfulness. Some of these concerns have only recently come to light but they are now sufficient in number that they should raise genuine concern on the part of anyone who is a follower of William Branham.
Initially William Branham's retelling of the story of Congressman Upshaw's healing was in basic agreement with the story as told by the Congressman himself. However, it changed over time to become something that bore absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened. How many other stories that William Branham told were also wildly embellished?
There is a heartbreaking story that is familiar to all followers of William Branham. Bro. Branham first encountered Pentecostal people at a convention in Mishawaka, Indiana. While he was drawn to them and was invited to speak in their churches, he refused to join with them because he listened to his mother-in-law instead of God. And, as a result, his wife and daughter died as a direct result of his disobedience to God.
But, is this the truth?
According to Roy Davis and Douglas Weaver, William Branham attended a Pentecostal church pastored by Roy Davis prior to 1933 when he started his own church. Roy Davis himself says that William Branham received the baptism of the Holy Spirit in his home. This all precedes the death of Hope and Sharon Rose Branham in July 1937.
The original name of Branham Tabernacle was the Pentecostal Tabernacle.
This makes the story of William Branham's story that his wife and daughter died because he rejected the Pentecostal people to be highly suspect.
Why did William Branham state that the cloud was directly above him while he was hunting, when it actually appeared 8 days earlier 200 miles away? Why did he say that Life Magazine said the cloud appeared at the same place that he was hunting when it clearly didn't? Why does William Branham state that the pictures in Life Magazine were taken on the day that he heard the blast when they were actually taken over a week earlier?
Why was there no mention of the voice on the Ohio River by William Branham prior to 1952? Why did the books by Gordon Lindsay and Julius Stadsklev make no mention of the voice (both books were written based on information that came from William Branham)? Why is there no evidence of the newspaper articles that William Branham referred to?
Plagiarism is the act of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. Are you aware that William Branham stole multiple messages, doctrines and concepts from other ministers but never properly gave them credit for them. Are you aware that some of these stolen ideas he said came directly from God or the Angel?
Why would he do this when God speaks against this practice in Jeremiah 23:30 - So I, the LORD, affirm that I am opposed to those prophets who steal messages from one another that they claim are from me. (NET)
On December 23, 1962, William Branham relates a vision in which he sees five angels in a constellation. One week later, he changed the number to seven. Why?
|Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. ~ Ephesians 4:25|
- In the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods.
- It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying. These people know only too well how to use falsehood for the basest purposes."
If you try to say that William Branham was a true and faithful witness, then you aren't following Jesus. And if you are following Jesus, then you can't follow William Branham. It's one or the other.
- The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Pr 14:5.
- The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Re 3:14.
- Adolf Hitler