Translate page into:
Why did judgment fall on innocent rocks and trees in Alaska, rather than falling on sinners in Hollywood or Las Vegas?
The 1964 Alaskan earthquake on March 27, 1964 was the most powerful recorded earthquake in U.S. and North American history, and one of the most powerful ever measured by seismograph. Followers of William branham believe that this earthquake was the fulfillment of a prophecy made just days before the quake occurred.
Problems with the Prophecy
1) William Branham stated that he prophesied the earthquake before the fact, but like virtually all of his prophecies, it was not made public until AFTER it was fulfilled.
2) Doug McHughes was hunting with William Branham in 1964. In his self-published video testimony, he says that Banks Woods was throwing rocks three days before a dust-devil hit the side of Rattlesnake Mesa above them. In William Branham's testimony, Banks Woods threw a rock, which started a whirlwind that hit Sunset Mountain.
3) You would expect that judgment would strike Hollywood, not Alaska. Why was Alaska, with all its trees and snow, the epicenter of God's wrath, rather than destruction falling on Los Angeles?
Because this "prophecy" was not told until after the fact, and differs from eyewitness accounts, it cannot be classified as a true prophecy.
The "Prophecy", and quotes of William Branham
The story is told that William Branham was hunting in the mountains of Arizona. Standing with his friend, Banks Wood, he threw a rock into the air and said, “THUS SAITH THE LORD, you’ll see the glory of God.” The rock fell to the ground, giving rise to a tiny whirlwind. The next day, while the hunters were in camp, the whirlwind ripped through the mountain. It tore out the side of the cliffs and cut of the tops of the trees. The rocks broke into three-sided pieces. Today, Message Believers come from around the world to Rattlesnake Mesa to look for three-cornered rocks as a testimony that their Prophet was there. The 1964 Alaskan Earthquake is also seen by the followers of Branham as the fulfillment of his prophecy.
- And I believe the church now is going out into its lukewarmness, as the Bible predicted. And we're seeing just the catching of the last part, when we see things happening like has been happening in the world, in the last few days. For instance, the great earthquake in Alaska. Never has been an earthquake like that, in all the world. Did you notice? It come on Good Friday. You know, the last time the world was shaken was on Good Friday, too, when our Master died, and it shook the whole world. And remember, it might be the sign of Him returning. He said, that, "There'd be earthquakes in divers places." Today we got another one in California, and they're just appearing everywhere, light earthquakes. We notice, even the Capitol building has moved out of its place, and moved back. And--and down here in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, there's a swimming pool there, dashed the waters out, from plumb from Alaska. Over in Switzerland, Sweden, and through there, shook buildings and things, around the world. I believe that it's trying to open our eyes, to see the hour that we're living. I'm here in godly fear, that, it may be sooner than we think, of His appearing.
- I went westward. Upon that same mountain, passing up with Banks Woods there, said, "Throw up a rock. Say to Mr. Woods, 'THUS SAITH THE LORD, you'll see the Glory of God.'"
- The very next day, standing there, a whirlwind came down and blasted the mountains out. Rocks cut the top of the trees off, about three or four feet above my head. Made three big blasts, and the brothers come running over. There was about fifteen man standing there, preachers and everything else. "What was it?" He said, "What was it?"
- I said, "Judgment is striking the West Coast."
- About two days after that, the earthquake almost sunk Alaska. What is this Light up on Sunset Mountain in the Coronado Forest of Arizona? What is this strange thing that happened up there, that the people has been driving east from west, picking up the rocks that laid around there where It struck? And every one of them, every one rock, has three corners on it, that It tore off. (The three are One.) They're laying on desks, on paperweights, across the nation. What is this strange thing upon Sunset Mountain in the Coronado Forest?
- The Identified Christ Of All Ages (64-0401)
- What Is The Attraction On The Mountain (65-0725e)